Monday, December 6, 2010

Eng 12: From Monday, 6 December

Today, I returned the Polonius' advice paragraphs; they were quite good.  If anyone wishes, he or she may rewrite (after some help?) the paragraph and submit it for remarking.

We finished reading the longest scene in the play (II,ii); I always find the second half drags a bit until the soliloquy at the end.  Any thoughts on that?  Is that Shakespeare showing off the prowess of the actors' intellect or is it more valuable?  Does it establish mood for the upcoming scene?  If so, consider the role of Polonius' interruptions.

Please remember to post a comment.  Have a nice afternoon and thanks for your quickly prepared dramatic readings today.  In general, I'd say, as I usually do, that most of us read the scenes too quickly - always ask: "where would some movement on stage logically interrupt the words?"

4 comments:

  1. I felt that i would have enjoyed listening to the soliloquy however maybe not, i found while listening to this rather long scene i would sense a hit of foreshadowing. Perhaps Hamlet will be given the chance to avenge is father but does what he has throughout the Play, never being able to put his word into actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the extended scene two, along with its verbal baggage. The humor is evident enough, and while not laugh out loud, it certainly is enjoyable, and the rest of the scene maintains a sort of paradoxically calm excitement. I also quite enjoyed the ad hoc dramatic readings, it was fun to perform, and interesting to listen to from others. One thing that might make things more interesting is to have a wider variety of passages so that we do not hear the same passages over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mr. Marshall the second half of scene 2 was a little boring. However there must be a purpose for it and I believe that the purpose is to show Shakespeare's intellect through some of his writing. I also, enjoyed the dramatic readings and am looking forward, like Rowan, to when we get to potentially choose one of the many famous soliloquies to do a memorized dramatic reading of. I am hoping that instead of just talking about finishing the play, to actually finishing the play (not because I am bored but because I don't want to fall behind.) All-in-all I mostly enjoying Hamlet and look forward to later parts in the play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On account of my being absent yesterday I can't comment on how the class reading went, but I can on how it went for me in private. I agree with Mitch and Mr. Marshall about how the scene can seem a bit drawn out but also that it must have purpose. I enjoyed the humour within the scence as Rowan had. I hope that trying to finish the play before christmas break doesn't hurt our chance to understand the depth of the play.

    ReplyDelete