Today was a reading day. I'll introduce your first formal writing assignment for the unit: compare and contrast two characters from your novel.
In the past, when you've done character sketches you may have thought of your characters in terms of three criteria: appearance; actions; and, thoughts and feelings. I'd like you to go further this time. Consider the following points:
- why are these characters important to the story?
- what do they teach us anything (about ourselves/society)?
- why are they perfect or imperfect (do they, like Macbeth, have a flaw)?
- when are they heroic, anti-heroic, or tragic?
- what, if anything are their weaknesses or strengths?
***** most importantly, why are they significant?
This will be a standard 300-word essay and yes, you will be expected to employ blended quotations to support you arguments.